Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Installing Oculus Rift SDK on Windows Server OS (or bypass the product type check with most apps)


I run a server OS as my primary OS for my home lab, which is a hyper-v system.  I'm not interested in dual-booting this system just to run a consumer OS so I can play with my Oculus Rift.  So I explored bypassing these checks and this is how I was able to get my software to think it was running on a consumer OS.

First thing you need is Application Verifier.  This utility allows you to customize shims for applications.  Once it's installed, go "File > Add Application" and add your application.


Under "Test" expand out compatibility, check "HighVersionLie" then right-click on it and select "Properties"


It's here that you can now determine what "Product Type" this application will recognize the underlying OS as.  The values for Product Type are:
Value
Meaning
VER_NT_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER
0x0000002
The system is a domain controller and the operating system is Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000 Server.
VER_NT_SERVER
0x0000003
The operating system is Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000 Server.
Note that a server that is also a domain controller is reported as VER_NT_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER, not VER_NT_SERVER.
VER_NT_WORKSTATION
0x0000001
The operating system is Windows Vista, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home Edition, or Windows 2000 Professional.


Specifying a value of 1 in Product Type simulates that this is a consumer/workstation OS and the Oculus Rift software now installs without issue.



1 comment:

gibsonherry said...

At some point couple of instructive websites turn out to be extremely useful while getting applicable and new data identified with your focused on zone. As I discovered this blog and welcome the data conveyed to my database.

Cisco Enterprise Wireless